By David Sowers and Kaci Demott
The YPAL Community Outreach Committee works to improve the community’s social, economic and environmental needs. ’Tis the season, so we thought we’d give you a brief update on this service-minded arm of our organization as we plan service opportunities over the holiday months.
What exactly does YPAL do in the community? How can I get involved now?
Year round, YPAL is engaging young professionals with Louisville non-profits to re-invest their time and talents into the community. Through non-profit board positions, volunteer days, and charitable social events YPAL members are growing their leadership skills, networks & becoming well rounded community members. Last year’s highlights include:
- Partnered with Brown Forman’s YPERG to host Special Olympics of Kentucky for the 10th consecutive year
- Volunteers over 50 hours during the Mayor’s Annual Week of Service
- Hosted 2 Community Connections Events that connected 100+ Young Professionals with 30+ Non-Profits with available board & volunteer positions available
This year, YPAL already has many events lined up for community outreach:
- Fall Community Connections –COMPLETE!
- Shelby Park Project, Saturday, September 9th @ Shelby Park – Come out, plant trees, mulch, and clean up Shelby Park! Many members are already signed up! Work gear and refreshments will be provided… just wear your working cap!
- Dare to Care with Yum!’s g2 Group, Saturday, September 16th – Help the Louisville Community defeat hunger by helping distribute food items at Dare to Care’s food warehouse. It is a great way to get involved!
- YPAL & Junior Achievement Jingle Bowl, Thursday, December 5th @ Sports & Social – YPAL is putting on a bowl event with Junior Achievement! Come support the organization by playing some bowling, buying raffle tickets to walk away with cash, and bid on silent auction items!
Both of us encourage you to sign-up and check out these awesome events, you can find them posted on our event calendar. Can’t wait to see you there!
About David & Kaci
David Sowers is YPAL’s Vice President of Community. He is an Operations Engineer for Yum! Brands where he is responsible for testing and launching new and exciting products nationally for KFC.
David’s YPAL Community Outreach Involvement:
“I first joined YPAL to meet new friends in Louisville and grow my career, as many others do. I went to various committee meetings to see how I could make an impact, and was pleasantly surprised to find Community Outreach to be one of the largest committees. Louisville is quickly growing in acclaim for its cultural and food scene, but lesser known is how Louisville is becoming known for Compassion. From 2012 – 2013, I served as Director of Community Outreach; currently Vice-President of Community.”
Kaci Demott is an Agricultural Loan Underwriter at CGB Enterprises, Inc. where she works directly with agricultural producers nationwide to provide capital solutions to their operations. Kaci is YPAL’s Director of Community Outreach.
Kaci’s YPAL Community Outreach Involvement:
“In May 2012, I first moved to Louisville and that same month I attended my first YPAL meeting. After hearing many positives about YPAL, I knew I wanted to join the organization and get involved immediately – which is exactly what I did. After attending the committee meetings, I decided Community Outreach was the place I fit in best. I’ve always had a passion of helping others in the community and giving back. “