2004 marked a year of significant partnerships for YPAL aimed toward a goal of providing our members with opportunities to get involved and gain experience in civic leadership. YPAL paired up with organizations like Wayside Christian Mission, the Salvation Army and Brightside on various service projects throughout the city; including a Thanksgiving Dinner and city clean-up before the Kentucky Derby.
One of the most significant partnerships forged this year was that between YPAL, the Louisville Urban League Young Professionals and the Leadership Louisville Foundation. In January, we helped Leadership Louisville launch their Ignite Louisville program for emerging leaders in our community. The 7-month program is geared towards young professionals looking to make an impact on their career and their community. To learn more about the Ignite Louisville program visit: http://www.leadershiplouisville.org/ignite-louisville/
We want to thank our leadership and our members for a great year.
2003 – 2004 Highlights:
- Organized City Talk Speaker’s Forum Series.
- Provided opportunities for members to work with the Wayside Christian Mission Thanksgiving Dinner.
- Partnered with the Salvation Army Angel Tree and helped to distribute toys and clothes.
- Helped Brightside “brighten” the city before the Kentucky Derby.
- Partnered with KET and the Louisville Urban League Young Professionals for a panel discussion on “Matters of Race”.
- Launched Ignite Louisville in partnership with the Leadership Louisville Center and the Louisville Urban League Young Professionals.
- Sponsored a three-part Career Management Series.
- Sponsored informative seminars including, “Home Buying and Financing,” “Creative Cooking Class” and “Strategies for Planning for a Secure Retirement”.
- Invited members to two Living in Louisville lunches to learn about the city.
- Organized sporting teams and programs including fielding teams in a Winter Soccer League and a Spring Co-ed Softball League. Members also gathered at Monday Night Football Games at local bars and restaurants.
- Hosted parties for members including a Halloween Party at Masterson’s, a rooftop Martini Party at Glassworks, and a Super Bowl Party at Jillian’s.